MyBlueShark
March 28, 2024, 05:58:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

MYA LYONS 9 yr. old slain

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MYA LYONS 9 yr. old slain  (Read 561 times)
shark
« on: July 16, 2008, 05:16:40 am »

http://video.nbc5.com/player/?id=276170

Police: 9-Year-Old Raped, Throat Slashed In 'Heinous' Slaying
Father Finds Girl, Brings Her To Hospital

POSTED: 6:11 am CDT July 15, 2008
UPDATED: 7:26 pm CDT July 15, 2008

CHICAGO -- A 9-year-old girl found dead by her father in the Auburn Gresham neighborhood on the South Side was slashed in the neck and the abdomen and had been sexually assaulted, police have told relatives. An autopsy conducted Tuesday concluded that Mya Lyons died of multiple injuries from the assault.

Reward Offered For Killer's Arrest
Video: Child Slain, Possibly Raped On South Side
Video: Grandfather Issues Plea To Killer 

"The detective said it was a heinous crime. He said a lot of evidence was left behind," said Lyons' great-aunt, Karen Brown.

Mya lived with her mother, Erica Barnes, in Addison but for the last three years had been spending part of the summers with her father, Richard Lyons, in the 8400 block of South Gilbert Court. The mother had come by to pick Mya up yesterday but she asked to stay with her father longer, Brown said.

The girl went to a party on the block later that night with her older stepbrother and relatives at some point realized she was missing.

"Everybody was like, where is she," said her father. "We went looking for her and I found her in the alley. They dumped her in the alley'' at the end of the block near his home, said Lyons, breaking down.

Lyons rushed her to Jackson Park Hospital, where she was pronounced dead at 2:10 a.m. Tuesday.

"We went to the hospital and they wouldn't let us see her," Brown said. "It was terrible. We prayed, we prayed. It was unbelieveable. The mother is taking it hard, very hard. She had gone to pick her up yesterday but she wanted to stay, so she let her stay. At the hospital she was saying, 'I should have picked her up, I should have picked her up.'"

Police were saying little about the investigation, but the father said he was brought to the police station for questioning.

"It was very difficult, as I spent the night at the police station,'' Lyons said, sobbing. "They treated me nicely, but it was too long to be there.

"I just got home,'' Lyons said around 8:30 a.m. "I want the world to know: Love your kids while you have them because you don't know how long you're going to have them. I loved my baby.

"I have my memories of my vacations with her, I have the memorial of the trips I took her on. They can never take that away from me,'' he said, adding they had just taken a "huge road trip.''

"We got in the car and we drove to Atlanta, we drove to New Jersey and we drove to Florida and we drove to Pennsylvania, all in one trip. It was so much fun. I asked her what part of the trip she liked most and I just knew it would be Disneyworld. She didn't. She said, 'I had so much fun everywhere I went and everywhere we stopped.' She couldn't even make up her own mind which one she liked the best. I just knew it was going to be Disneyworld but it wasn't. It was everything. That made me feel so good."

He said he took the trip with his wife and Mya's older brother and younger sister.

Mya was getting ready for her birthday, he said.

"It's in November. She was going to be 10. She was going into her double digits,'' Lyons said. "She was so fun-loving, but she was apprehensive and very intelligent. Oh my God, you should hear, my wife would purposely sit her down just to hear her talk."

Mya's aunt, Nicole Barnes, 27, said Mya was an honor student at Stanley Hall school in Glendale Heights. For last three years, had been spending part of the summers with her dad, Richard Lyons.

"She loved to play. She played ropes, she loved dolls, especially Barbie dolls. She also liked Baby Alive," Barnes said. "And she loved riding her bike. She would sing to every song on the radio. She loved to sing. She loved to tell jokes."

Nicole Barnes said Mya was a favorite of her teachers.

"She loved math, she loved reading."

Anyone with information on the crime is asked to contact police at 312-747-8272.

Information provided by Sun-Times News Group

Related Articles:
Find out more about Police.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

northtxmom

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 12:15:13 pm »

This breaks my heart!! I hope they catch the sick bastard that did this!
Report Spam   Logged
Blue
"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 02:45:33 pm »

OMG! I just can't comprehend how anyone could do this to a little girl....sick motherf'rs
Report Spam   Logged

i4doors

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 07:14:13 pm »

so sad....i hope they catch the sob, and soon.... Angry
Report Spam   Logged

my posts are my opinion!   the doors   http://photobucket.com/video/the%20doors/ades_julio/ec1b6e12.pbr
Blue
"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 07:22:52 pm »

oops we kinda cussed...there goes our rep! LOL! Sorry off topic.
Report Spam   Logged

i4doors

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 09:36:33 pm »

oops we kinda cussed...there goes our rep! LOL! Sorry off topic.
shame on us....hope that sob gets a one way ticket to prison! Angry how could anyone hurt her? she was a pretty little girl, enjoying summer vacation....why? Angry
Report Spam   Logged

my posts are my opinion!   the doors   http://photobucket.com/video/the%20doors/ades_julio/ec1b6e12.pbr
shark
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 04:48:35 pm »

OH goodness we have some good news in this terrible tragedy... My heart goes out to the Family of MYA LYONS, and to hear of the City cleaning up the possible dense brush that contributed to possible criminal activity..

The people have even quoted  saying that it took this tragedy to get the city to do its job...They do have a person in questioning for MYA, and more will be updated as story comes forth...
http://www.chicagotribune.com/?track=email-alert-breakingnews

Report Spam   Logged
northtxmom

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 09:59:28 pm »

Oh good, I hope they got the right person and this family can see some justice!!
Report Spam   Logged
i4doors

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 10:01:19 pm »

Oh good, I hope they got the right person and this family can see some justice!!
let's cross our fingers txmom! sob...needs to go down!  Angry
Report Spam   Logged

shark
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 11:08:50 pm »

KNIFE RECOVERED IN AREA WHERE MYA WAS FOUND...
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/chi-mya-probe-22-jul22,0,6302021.story

Knife recovered close to where 9-year-old was found dead
Cleanup-crew intern saw bloody object
By Angela Rozas | Chicago Tribune reporter
July 22, 2008

A Chicago police evidence technician looks over a knife found Monday near where 9-year-old Mya Lyons was found stabbed to death in the Auburn Gresham neighborhood. (Tribune photo by Terrence Antonio James / July 21, 2008)

A cleanup crew found a knife Monday near where a 9-year-old girl was found stabbed to death last week in the Auburn Gresham neighborhood.

An intern with Cleanslate, a nonprofit beautification business, found the "kitchen-type knife" while raking in a vacant lot about 100 feet from the alley where Mya Lyons' body was found, said Audrey Geddis, a crew chief.

Geddis said the knife looked relatively new and had what appeared to be blood stains on it.

John Rush, managing director of Cleanslate, said the organization had been called in to clean up debris and weeds in the area after the body was found July 14 in the 8400 block of South Gilbert Court.

Remembering Mya Photos Police asked crews last week to keep an eye out for any possible evidence and to notify them if they found any, said Geddis, who witnessed the intern finding the knife at about 11:15 a.m.

"He saw a bright, shiny, silver looking thing, and as he cleared away the leaves he saw that it was a knife," Rush said.

Chicago police forensic services then came to the scene and took it away, Rush said.

Geddis said other knives had been found in the area in the last week, but none of those alarmed police.

Chicago police officials refused to comment on whether a knife was found. Over the weekend, police questioned and released a "person of interest" in the case without charges.

Last week, more than 100 police officers searched the area for evidence.

Rush said there was so much debris in the area it's possible police and his crews did not see the knife last week

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum