MyBlueShark
April 20, 2024, 08:53:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Unanswered Cries by David Murry

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unanswered Cries by David Murry  (Read 400 times)
Blue
"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."
Global Moderator

« on: June 29, 2008, 08:36:54 pm »

Unanswered Cries
Before she died in 2004, Kathleen Savio, the third wife of former Bolingbrook police sergeant Drew Peterson, repeatedly warned authorities she would be killed. Now her death has been reclassified a homicide. Why wasn't there a stronger response to her pleas for help?
By David Murray

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/May-2008/Unanswered-Cries/index.php?cp=1&si=0#artanc

(page 1 of 4)

One October afternoon in 2001, Kathy Savio Peterson walked out to the mailbox in front of her house on the west side of Bolingbrook and found an envelope containing a single sheet of paper, an anonymous letter. The writer claimed that Kathy's husband, Drew Peterson, a Bolingbrook police sergeant, was having an affair with a 17-year-old village employee. "Village officials (Mayor, trustee's,) [sic] and everyone at the police department have complete knowledge of this situation," the letter said. "It has been an ongoing joke within the department." The letter went on to warn her: "Protect yourself and your family."

By then, Kathy had been married to Drew Peterson for almost ten years, and their marriage—it was his third, her first—had always been volatile. But this affair was more than Kathy could handle.

Soon after she got the letter, Kathy and Drew separated, and Drew filed for divorce. As the proceedings moved slowly toward settlement, their relationship continued to be rocky, and the Bolingbrook Police Department was repeatedly called on to intervene. All the while, according to Kathy's sister Sue Doman, Kathy predicted: "He's gonna kill me and it's gonna look like an accident."

With increasing desperation, Kathy sought the protection she thought she needed, including, her lawyer says, reaching out to the Bolingbrook police and the Will County state's attorney's office. Little was done on her behalf.

On March 1, 2004, she was found face-down in her master bathtub. The tub was dry, but her hair was wet, and there was a gash on her head and blood in the bottom of the tub.

"Did he kill her?" Sue remembers asking when another sister, Anna Doman, called at 1:30 a.m. with the news.

"I don't know," said Anna.

Two months later, a Will County coroner's jury ruled the death an accident.

As the world has learned by now, authorities reopened the case late last year after Drew Peterson's fourth wife—Stacy, the young village worker with whom he had had the affair—disappeared, setting off a frenzy of media coverage. This past February, a new autopsy led to a different finding: that Kathy had been murdered—the victim of a "homicide staged to look like an accident," according to state's attorney Jim Glasgow. No one has been charged, and Drew Peterson has denied any involvement in the death.

As the state's attorney's office and a grand jury continue to investigate the case, one question that keeps coming up is why no official responded aggressively to Kathy's alarms. Her family says she came to believe her husband's connections in the tight network of officials in Bolingbrook and Will County predisposed the authorities not to take her pleas seriously.

Several local officials deny that they ignored her. Bolingbrook mayor Roger C. Claar, for one, says that he knew Kathy but that she never contacted him with her concerns. Bolingbrook's former police chief, Mike Calcagno, says he gave her his cell phone number.

Still, her widely shared and repeated predictions that she would be killed came true. The story of her futile efforts to get help bears further examination.

Go to link for pages 2-4
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/May-2008/Unanswered-Cries/index.php?cp=1&si=0#artanc

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

SheShark
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 09:43:34 pm »

I cannot say enough to all who walk this earth today, that you must serve and protect yourself.

Kathleen Savio is a statistic now.. I am not being cold, just objective.. For God's sake , my own mother is now a statistic.. Being raised in a violent home, I believe I was always prepared for that phone call.

When the state gives you a piece of paper, and says its an ORDER of PROTECTION, please go further with your own protection... If you do not have that order, oh well; Its only a record of...

I am for our 2nd ammendment, and I believe if KS had a gun, Drew may be lying in that grave instead of her..

I will go further to push that movie, FIGHTER w/ Jennifer Lopez; You must be able to protect yourself, and it is better to be judged by 12, then carried by 6.

To many are dying to violence, and it is a very different ,strange, hostile we live in, be PROACTIVE, and prevent someone overpowering you, and taking your life..

I have gotten a trillion ORDERS of PROTECTION, and they do ****, when seconds count... I have dealt w/ "CROOK COUNTY" and the "OL SLAP ON THE WRIST", has indeed frustrated me to no end.
Crooked BS happens everyday, everywhere; But when no one listens, you must proceed further to preserve LIFE!

I do not believe in our justice system, I've been in the school of hard knocks, and know what happens...
I watch NG , and she says"WHY DID IT TAKE THIS, OR WHY DID"NT THEY DO THAT", appauls me..
She knows why,  its our LAWS, and BS JUDGES who are so apt to slap that hand, time and time again..

Words of a Chicago police officer, "We bring um in, and they are right back out!" Judges are the ones who dont enforce, or care... Please dont tell me either, what Mayor Clarr would do for KS either.. That is a joke... We dont live in mayberry people, so you can chuck that statement right there...POLITICAL ties are another injustice!!!

Report Spam   Logged
Blue
"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 11:36:40 pm »

Yes, I understand your point. It does happen too often, even with the typical warning signs. People don't expect someone they know and used to care for, would actually harm them. I think it is difficult for many to accept, Nicole Brown knew oj would probably beat the **** out of her again, but did she REALLY think she would die the way she did? Society as a whole wants to see the good in people, that is why we will assume someone must be insane to do the things they do. That is just ONE problem within the system. The other is that there are to many non-violent offenders doing time which causes crowed prisons and higher taxes. I won't get started on all my views on taxes and prisons...
Yes, I agree about the second amendment, it's the main reason I could never live in another country such as the UK. I will protect myself, and my family. I will vote against anyone who wants to change the gun laws.

The bottom line is for every 1 that kills there are probably 5 that don't in DV cases. (I don't have stats) I think too often it is assumed by the system, that the situation will work itself out. When will they open their eyes?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum