MyBlueShark
March 28, 2024, 01:37:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

General news

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General news  (Read 1328 times)
Blue
"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."
Global Moderator

« on: June 10, 2008, 01:01:02 am »

So now we can't eat tomatoes!! Salmonella is IN them, WTH?? I think we are dealing with chemical warfare, last year it was the spinach now tomatoes? Hell, next it'll be apples or oranges, geeze! Did they ever figure out what caused the spinach problem? Someone is screwing around with our food supply, we need to guard the food as well as our money. Freakin' crazy world! What's next?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

SheShark
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 01:20:56 am »

Did ya see Wisc.Dells homes?
Holy Moses, fell right in the lake, like in California... WTF?
Thank God no one was killed!
Then we got tornadoes further north,,,WTF?

We got DP keepin quiet., and gettin away with his BS,,, WTF?

Floods, famin, war, fighting, ...Look Out!!

« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 01:21:28 am by Shark » Report Spam   Logged
SheShark
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 02:24:48 am »

Chicago area tornadoes for south suburbs.
http://www.southtownstar.com/news/994249,060808bigstorm.article

Twisters tear through the Southland

June 8, 2008Recommend (12)

By staff writers Dennis Robaugh, Phil Kadner, Shenequa A. Golding, David Schwab and Paula Carlson
When Yvonne Afriyie heard the blare of a tornado siren in Richton Park, she dashed into the bathroom of her third-floor apartment and crouched in the tub. Two minutes later, after the twister passed over her block, she looked out her patio window.

"I could see right into the lady's bedroom across the way. It was all gone," Afriyie said, looking over at the Richton Square Courts apartment complex where the building's third floor was torn away. "I could see her TV set, I could see her closet, I could see everything. I saw the poor lady a few minutes later coming out with garbage bags trying to pick up her clothes.

» Click to enlarge image

Anthony Watson stands near a pile of debris in the Arbors of Hickory Creek. Exhausted, he said the door felt like someone was trying to push it open from the outside.
(Mary Compton/SouthtownStar)

» Click to enlarge image

Concerned residents of Arbors of Hickory Creek check out the damage done to their buildings after a tornado touched down Saturday.
(Mary Compton/SouthtownStar)

» Click to enlarge image

Audrey Broyles, a resident of Arbors of Hickory Creek, stands near a tree wrapped with a a piece of tin roof by a tornado Saturday.
(Mary Compton/SouthtownStar_
"If it had hit my building, I would have been killed."

Tornadoes swept through the south suburbs Saturday evening - passing through Frankfort, Richton Park, Chicago Heights and into Indiana - snapping power lines and stripping rooftops from buildings.

Late Saturday, officials hadn't reported any loss of life but a number of people suffered minor injuries.

The largest tornado at times was half a mile wide, according to the National Weather Service. The storm came in from the southeast and moved northeast through Livingston, Grundy and Will counties before passing through southeast Cook County shortly before 7 p.m. and into Indiana.

A tornado touched the ground at 6:04 p.m. just southwest of Monee and moved northeast at 26 miles per hour, according to the National Weather Service.

On Interstate 57, several semi trucks and cars were overturned in the southbound lanes near Stuenkel Road, including a semi truck that blocked all lanes of traffic, said Illinois State Police Trooper Mark Dorencz. One person was hurt. Troopers closed a three-mile stretch of highway.

The twisters downed power lines, damaged a sportsman's club in rural Will County, tore rooftops off apartment buildings and damaged homes near Frankfort.

The heaviest damage appeared to be in Richton Park. A total of 74 families were being housed Saturday night at Rich South High School in Richton Park, according to Richton Park Fire Capt. Scot Allen.

Melissa Voss was working at the Aurelio's Pizza on Sauk Trail in Richton Park as the storm approached.

She and the other employees at the pizza place gathered behind the counter and looked out the front window when they heard a noise that "sounded like a train," Voss said. They saw a black cloud and debris flying everywhere.

"It must've been the apartment building that was hit," she said.

An abandoned carwash about 50 feet from Aurelio's had its roof ripped off, too. Throughout town, pieces of roofing could be seen wrapped around trees. Residents wandered about checking the damage to their homes.

Mayor Rick Reinbold called it "a miracle" nobody in town was killed.

At 6:53 p.m., a tornado was spotted about two miles north of Chicago Heights near Interstate 80 on the Illinois-Indiana border, according to the National Weather Service.

"Most tornados are on the ground for a minute or two, but they can last up to an hour. This one (was) on the ground for a while," meteorologist Gino Izzi said.

The twisters' path

At 4:45 p.m., police spotted a tornado in Livingston County. The twister moved through Grundy County and was in Will County, near Godley, by 5:20 p.m. where it reportedly touched down, according to the National Weather Service. At 5:23, a tornado touched down again near Essex in Kankakee County, downing large trees and snapping power lines.

At 5:40 p.m., police near Wilmington saw a half-mile-wide tornado on the ground, still moving northeast. A few minutes later, a tornado was on the ground in Manteno. Just before 6 p.m., a tornado was spotted on the ground just south of Frankfort. In Green Garden Township, homes were damaged and trailers in rural areas were overturned.

A trained spotter for the National Weather Service followed the storm, reporting power lines down 5 to 10 miles south of Frankfort. The storm continued heading northeast. The skies darkened over Mokena and Tinley and rain fell, but the center of the storm headed toward Richton Park and Chicago Heights.

Four houses were reportedly damaged at Manhattan-Monee Road and Harlem Avenue.

At this point, two funnels could be seen in the stormclouds as they passed through.

At 6:20 p.m., a multiple vortex tornado, meaning multiple funnels, was spied at Interstate 57 and Stuenkel Road in Will County. The tornado crossed Interstate 57 and headed toward Richton Park, crossing Governors Highway.

Heavy rains were reported in Homewood and Flossmoor - 1.3 inches of rain fell in 45 minutes - but the tornado skirted those towns as it headed toward Indiana. Shortly before 7 p.m., power outages reported in the 1500 block of Hanover on the East Side of Chicago Heights. There were reports near 16th Street and East End Avenue of stop signs blown over and electrical wires down.

Michael Sabo, director of city projects for Chicago Heights, said the twister moved directly over his neighbor's house, but didn't hit ground.

"I've never seen anything like this in my life," Sabo said.

'We're grateful we're alive'

A tornado was on the ground between Richton Park and University Park about 6:30 p.m.

In its wake, Richton Park homeowner Debbie Bulliner, 47, surveyed her home. She took shelter in her basement. Her kitchen wall was blown in and eight windows were shattered.

"It felt like a freight train was coming in my house. I could feel the wind, It felt like the whole house was blowing away. I was praying to God the whole house wouldn't cave in. I'm shaken. Looking at the devastation, I could have been killed. This is material. This can be replaced. We're grateful we're alive."

Her 10-year-old daughter, Helena, took stock of her own belongings, too.

"At least my bedroom is OK," she said.

Nearby homeowner Larry Smith, 50, was watching "what used to be a real great garage" now leaning to one side in a slow fall toward the ground.

"The storm came in within seconds. It didn't take no time ... just blew everything apart. There was three to five seconds of shaking and it was gone."

Still, Smith was upbeat.

His classic 1970 Chevelle escaped damage.

Shelter under a blanket

In Will County, just west of Harlem Avenue and south of Monee-Manhattan Road, in the 26900 block of Center Road, the storm blew out the back wall of Dan McManigal's master bedroom. From outside the house, one could see his king-sized bed. Pieces of the wall were found a half block away.

McManigal was not home at the time of the storm and was grateful his two dogs and two cats were not hurt.

Nearby, at Center and Pauling, Nicole DeLuco was baby-sitting a young child.

"It sounded like a freight train went through the house," she said. "I heard glass busting upstairs."

Glass flew down into the basement where they took shelter under blankets.

The storm demolished a barn on the property and scattered pieces of a playground set everywhere.

Farther east, the tornado passed through a beach near a private lake at the South Wilmington Sportsman Club, 24628 County Line Road in Wilmington.

"It went through the middle of the beach," said Lindell Roberts, a member of the club's board of directors. "We have a lot of trees down and power lines and stuff like that. A lot of big trees were blown down and limbs lost."

Roberts said nobody was injured and lifeguards evacuated the beach about an hour before the storms arrival. Members of the clubs were sent to various buildings on the ground. None of the buildings were damaged, Roberts said.

You've got to have priorities

For one woman, the imminent threat of a twister and TV warnings wouldn't send her scurrying for cover.

"Yes, I saw them," she said of the tornado alerts on her television. "I was watching the baseball game. They kept interrupting my baseball game."

A twister blew through and tore the rooftop off an apartment building nearby, but she didn't budge. The Cubs and Dodgers game was tied.

"I wanted to see who would win."

Asked for her name, she said, "you can call me Jane Doe."

Report Spam   Logged
Blue
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 03:30:14 am »

http://cbs13.com/national/excercise.pill.mice.2.784562.html

*    Jul 31, 2008 9:11 am US/Pacific
      Scientists Discover 'Exercise In A Pill'

NEW YORK (AP) ― Here's a couch potato's dream: What if a drug could help you gain some of the benefits of exercise without working up a sweat?

Scientists reported Thursday that there is such a drug -- if you happen to be a mouse.

Sedentary mice that took the drug for four weeks burned more calories and had less fat than untreated mice. And when tested on a treadmill, they could run about 44 percent farther and 23 percent longer than untreated mice.

Just how well those results might translate to people is an open question. But someday, researchers say, such a drug might help treat obesity, diabetes and people with medical conditions that keep them from exercising.

"We have exercise in a pill," said Ron Evans, an author of the study. "With no exercise, you can take a drug and chemically mimic it."

Evans, of the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in La Jolla, Calif., and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute reports the work with colleagues in a paper published online Thursday by the journal Cell.

They also report that in mice that did exercise training, a second drug made their workout much more effective at boosting endurance. After a month of taking that drug and exercising, mice could run 68 percent longer and 70 percent farther than other mice that exercised but didn't get the drug.

Both drugs have been studied by researchers for other uses. The no-exercise drug is in advanced human testing to see if it can prevent a complication of heart bypass surgery.

Evans noted the drugs might prove irresistible for professional athletes who seek an illegal edge. He said his team has developed detection tests for use by the World Anti-Doping Agency. Evans said he has no financial interest in either drug or the test.

Resveratrol, a substance being studied for anti-aging effects, has also been reported to enable mice to run farther before exhaustion without exercise training. But the drugs in the new study appear to act more specifically on a process in muscles that boosts endurance, the researchers said.

Still, it takes more than just altered muscles to turn a sedentary mouse into a distance runner, Evans said, and "honestly, I just don't know how that happens. Whether it would happen in a person, I don't know. I think it's a small miracle it happened at all."

In fact, Evans said that when the experiment with sedentary mice was suggested by an outside scientist who was reviewing the lab's research, "I didn't think it was going to work."

The no-exercise drug is called AICAR. Previous experiments suggest that it might protect against gaining weight on a high-fat diet, which might make it useful for treating obesity, Evans said. But it would have to be taken for a long time, he said, so its safety in people would have to be assured.

Experts who study muscle agreed that a drug like AICAR may prove useful someday in treating obesity and diabetes. Many drug companies are working on such drugs in diabetes because in animals, AICAR stimulates muscles to remove sugar from the blood, noted Laurie Goodyear of the Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston.

People who can't exercise because of a medical condition like joint pain or heart failure might also benefit from such a drug, experts said.

But Eric Hoffman of the Children's National Medical Center in Washington, D.C., noted that AICAR mimics only aerobic exercise, not the strength training that might be more useful to bedridden people or the elderly, for example. He also cautioned that it's not clear whether the new mouse results can be reproduced in people.

Goodyear said exercise has such widespread benefits in the body that she doubts any one pill will ever be able to supply all of them. "For the majority of people," she said, "it would be better to do exercise than to take a pill."
Report Spam   Logged

Blue
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 03:43:47 am »

Golden retriever adopts tiger cubs at Kansas zoo
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/07/30/national/a142033D84.DTL
Thursday, July 31, 2008

(07-31) 16:47 PDT Caney, Kan. (AP) --

Golden retriever adopts tiger cubs at Kansas zoo
Isabella, a golden retriever at the Safari Zoological Park, east of Caney, Kan. nurses Wednesday, July 30, 2008, three white tiger cubs she adopted after they were abandoned by their mother at the park. The cubs were born on Sunday. Daily Reporter photo by Rob Morgan via Associated Press

A dog at a southeast Kansas zoo has adopted three tiger cubs abandoned by their mother. Safari Zoological Park owner Tom Harvey said the tiger cubs were born Sunday, but the mother had problems with them.

A day later, the mother stopped caring for them. Harvey said the cubs were wandering around, trying to find their birth mother, who wouldn't pay attention to them. That's when the cubs were put in the care of a golden retriever, Harvey said.

Harvey said it's unusual for dogs to care for tiger cubs, but it does happen. He said he has seen reports of pigs nursing cubs in China, and he actually got the golden retriever after his wife saw television accounts of dogs caring for tiger cubs.

Puppies take about the same amount of time as tiger cubs to develop, and Harvey said the adoptive mother just recently weaned her own puppies.

"The timing couldn't have been any better," he said.

The mother doesn't know the difference, Harvey said. He said the adopted mother licks, cleans and feeds the cubs.

The Safari Zoological Park is a licensed facility open since 1989 and specializes in endangered species.

It has leopards, lions, cougars, baboons, ring-tailed lemurs, bears and other animals. It currently has seven white tigers and two orange tigers.

Because whit tigers are inbred from the first specimen found more than a half-century ago, they are not as genetically stable as orange tigers.

The zoo's previous litter of white tiger cubs was born April 23, although one of the three has since gone to a private zoo near Oklahoma City.
Report Spam   Logged

Blue
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 03:04:26 pm »

Police say Fla. boy's 1981 murder is solved
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081216/ap_on_re_us/adam_walsh

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. – A serial killer who died more than a decade ago is the person who decapitated the 6-year-old son of "America's Most Wanted" host John Walsh in 1981, Florida police said Tuesday.

The announcement brought to a close a case that has vexed the Walsh family for more than two decades, launched the television show about the nation's most notorious criminals and inspired changes in how authorities search for missing children.

"Who could take a 6-year-old and murder and decapitate him? Who?" John Walsh said at Tuesday's news conference. "We needed to know. We needed to know. And today we know. The not knowing has been a torture, but that journey's over."

The suspect, Ottis Toole, had twice confessed to the killing, but later recanted. He claimed responsibility for hundreds of murders, but police determined most of the confessions were lies. Toole's niece told the boy's father, John Walsh, her uncle confessed on his deathbed in prison that he killed Adam.

The Walshes long ago derided the investigation as botched, and John Walsh has said he believed Toole killed his son. Still, he praised the Hollywood police department for closing the case, and said it was not a day to place blame.

"This is not to look back and point fingers, but it is to let it rest," he said.

Adam Walsh went missing from a Hollywood mall on July 27, 1981. Fishermen discovered his severed head in a canal 120 miles away two weeks later. The rest of his body was never found.

Authorities made a series of crucial errors, losing the bloodstained carpeting in Toole's car — preventing DNA testing — and the car itself. It was a week after the boy's disappearance before the FBI got involved.

"So many mistakes were made," John Walsh said in 1997, upon the release of his book "Tears of Rage," which harshly criticized the Hollywood Police Department's work on the case. "It was shocking, inexcusable and heartbreaking."

For all that went wrong in the probe, the case contributed to massive advances in police searches for missing youngsters and a notable shift in the view parents and children hold of the world.

Adam's death, and his father's subsequent activism on his behalf, helped put faces on milk cartons, shopping bags and mailbox flyers, started fingerprinting programs and increased security at schools and stores. It spurred the creation of missing persons units at every large police department.

It also prompted national legislation to create a national center, database and toll-free line devoted to missing children, and led to the start of "America's Most Wanted," which brought those cases into millions of homes.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum