MyBlueShark
April 18, 2024, 10:15:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The "W" word (weather)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "W" word (weather)  (Read 680 times)
i4doors

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 07:07:24 pm »

i hope it doesn't get too bad!!! is blue getting bad thunderstorms? they are scary, especially with the high winds! i hope we don't get anymore like that one last night for a good while! whew Sad
Report Spam   Logged

my posts are my opinion!   the doors   http://photobucket.com/video/the%20doors/ades_julio/ec1b6e12.pbr
Blue
"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 07:55:31 pm »

Well, they expected some real bad storms and we did have a tornado warning. It was short lived and we got some wind, thunderstorms and rain, no big deal. It did cause the temp. to drop which is fine with me.  I'm blue reporting from Kansas......Back to you, shark.........LOL!
Report Spam   Logged

i4doors

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 11:55:25 pm »

it was really freakin how today....and humid! oh yea, my part time job, i had to work outside in it for 6 freakin hours.... Angry
Report Spam   Logged

my posts are my opinion!   the doors   http://photobucket.com/video/the%20doors/ades_julio/ec1b6e12.pbr
Blue
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 12:22:22 pm »

It's raining here again, I am so sick of rain that I want to move to Arizona.  We used to live in a flood plain and our home was flooded in 1998, You don't realize how horrible it is until it happens to you. My heart goes out to all those dealing with flood waters now. Here are some videos and stories about the current flood waters in Iowa.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080616/ap_on_re_us/midwest_flooding_111

<snip>
Two more deaths were reported, bringing the state's death toll from flooding to five. A 35-year-old man apparently drowned in Iowa River floodwaters near Wapello, and a woman was killed near New London when her stopped car was hit by a National Guard bus involved in flood duty
Report Spam   Logged

i4doors

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 02:14:16 pm »

we just had really bad ass storm...hail, strong winds and rain. it broke two panes out of bathroom window. bb...have to clean up glass and put plastic on window..... Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Blue
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 06:24:45 pm »

Check out this video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxHRxZZSweU&amp;feature=related
Report Spam   Logged

Blue
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 11:33:10 am »

New Orleans Residents Evacuate To Central Florida
http://www.wftv.com/news/17357334/detail.html?rss=orlc&psp=news

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Even with Hanna off our eastern coast, Central Florida turned into a haven for evacuees from Gustav. Donice and Philip Schwab were happy to be in Orlando.

"Oh yeah, we weren’t going to stay. It’s a direct hit. Yeah it’s a direct hit," said New Orleans resident Donice Scwab.

They caught one of the last flights out of New Orleans to avoid hurricane Gustav and in 2005, the couple stayed with relatives when they lost their home to Katrina.

"Three years later here we are back again, back flying to Florida," said Scwab.

Orlando bound flights from New Orleans were full with folks from the Gulf Coast and with Central Floridians who were ordered to cut their vacations short.

"Basically, officials stated they wanted us out of town by today," said passenger Charles Davis.

Arriving passengers said the airport in New Orleans was packed with people trying to get out.

"No parking whatsoever. Yeah no parking and people were sleeping all over the place," Davis said.

Many airlines were cancelling flight to New Orleans.

OSCEOLA COUNTY EVACUEE

In Osceola County, one man said he has been through a long journey. It took him 13 hours to get from New Orleans to Osceola County, but his journey started three years ago when Katrina forced him out. After watching the track of Gustav, Tommy Stephenson knew it was time to go.

"My big deal was once it hit a three, we got to get out," said Stephenson.

It's not his first time evacuating that city for a major hurricane.

"We evacuated for Ivan, Katrina and this is the third time we've evacuated. I am tired of evacuating," he said.

Three years ago, his entire family moved to Osceola County to escape Katrina. Stephenson moved back to New Orleans two weeks ago.

"I was going home, I was excited you know. I started a new job and everything seemed to be falling into place," said Stephenson.

Gustav has knocked it all out of place forcing mandatory evacuations. Stephenson said he left Saturday, and it took him 13 hours to get to his parents' home in Poinciana.

He's impressed with the organized effort to get people out before Gustav hits and his mother Cindy was glad he got out quickly.

"I knew he'd get out that wasn't a question and if he didn't I would have went and got him," said Tommy's mother Cindy Stephenson.

Tommy said that as soon as he starts hearing news reports that he can go back, that is exactly what he will do.

Copyright 2008 by wftv.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Report Spam   Logged

Blue
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 11:36:46 am »

Weakened Hurricane Gustav hits U.S. Gulf coast
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080901/ts_nm/storm_gustav_dc;_ylt=AuH6DWlY1gSUlQ7CCTAAWYd34T0D
By Tim Gaynor and Matthew Bigg 44 minutes ago

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - Hurricane Gustav roared ashore on the U.S. Gulf coast on Monday, lashing New Orleans with strong winds and heavy rain but sparing the city devastated by 2005's Hurricane Katrina its full force.

Floodwaters splashed over a concrete wall at the New Orleans Industrial Canal but there were no immediate reports of breaches of the barriers that gave way three years ago, flooding 80 percent of the city and stranding thousands of people.

Oil and natural gas prices plunged as Gustav weakened to a Category 2 hurricane with 110 mph winds shortly before making landfall, easing fears of serious supply disruptions that had put energy markets on edge.

Oil companies had shut down nearly all production in the region, which normally pumps a quarter of U.S. oil output and 15 percent of its natural gas.

Nearly 2 million people fled the Gulf Coast as Gustav approached in one of the biggest evacuations in U.S. history and only 10,000 were believed to have remained in New Orleans. More than 11 million residents in five U.S. states were threatened by the storm.

Gustav, a dangerous Category 4 hurricane a few days ago, hit shore near Cocodrie, Louisiana, about 70 miles southwest of New Orleans, as a Category 2 storm on the five-step Saffir-Simpson scale of hurricane intensity, one step below Katrina's strength when it made landfall.

But Mayor Ray Nagin cautioned against too much optimism.

"We are nowhere near out of danger yet," Nagin said. "Those canals are full right now. I don't know if we are going to get any more water pushed in that direction but that's a big concern for me right now."

New Orleans residents on talk radio reported some power outages, but also relief that the storm seemed to be less destructive than originally feared. About 287,000 power customers had lost electricity in Louisiana, including 150,000 in New Orleans, utility Entergy said.

Wind ripped through the city, knocking down trees, ripping off shop awnings and bowling trash cans through the all but deserted streets.

"Gustav doesn't have no punch," pool builder Randall Dreher said, balling his hands into fists, head bowed into the gale. "I went through Katrina and this is totally different. It's weak."

Natural gas futures dropped over 6 percent and oil fell about 4 percent on Monday on expectations that the storm would largely spare production facilities in the Gulf of Mexico.

Hurricane Gustav also took center stage in U.S. politics as Republicans prepared to open their convention on Monday to nominate presidential candidate John McCain with a bare-bones program stripped of the usual pomp and circumstance.

The U.S. National Hurricane Center said Gustav was still likely to toss up "an extremely dangerous storm surge" of up to 14 feet that could test the holding power of the levees rebuilt after they failed during Hurricane Katrina.

Hurricane Katrina brought a 28-foot (8.5 meter) storm surge that burst New Orleans levees on August 29, 2005. The city degenerated into chaos as stranded storm victims waited days for government rescue and law and order collapsed.

Police and several thousand national guard troops patrolled the empty city, sometimes in convoys of Humvees, as a curfew went into effect in a bid to prevent looting.

It was expected to swamp parts of Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas and Texas with up to 12 inches of rain and 20 inches in some small areas.

FEARS OF ANOTHER KATRINA

Gustav's approach had stirred uneasy comparisons to Katrina, the most costly hurricane in U.S. history, which killed some 1,500 people and caused over $80 billion in damage almost exactly three years ago.

President George W. Bush, who was criticized for the slow relief efforts after Katrina, canceled his appearance at the Republican convention and scheduled instead a visit to Texas on Monday to oversee emergency response effort.

McCain went to Gulf on Sunday to survey preparations and ordered political speeches canceled on Monday for his nominating convention, apparently concerned that television images of a choreographed Republican celebration while the storm was hitting Louisiana would be seen as out of touch.

After accusations of botching Katrina relief efforts, the government lined up trains and hundreds of buses to evacuate 30,000 people who could not leave on their own and Nagin said 15,000 had been removed from the city, including hundreds in wheelchairs.

Flights from New Orleans and other Gulf Coast cities were canceled on Monday as the storm bore down on the region.

Residents boarded up the windows of their shops and homes before leaving town, while others hunkered down as "hold-outs" with stockpiled food, water and shotguns to ward off looters.

"I saw quite a bit of looting last time with Katrina, even 30 minutes after the winds had stopped," said construction contractor Norwood Thornton, who opted to stay behind to protect his home in New Orleans' historic Garden District.

In its run through the Caribbean, Gustav earlier killed at least 86 people in the Dominican Republic, Haiti and Jamaica.

The U.S. Coast Guard reported the first storm-related death in Florida on Sunday, where a man fell overboard as his craft ran into heavy waves.

Katrina and Hurricane Rita, which followed it three weeks later, wrecked more than 100 Gulf oil platforms.

(Additional reporting by Tom Brown in Miami and Bruce Nichols, Chris Baltimore and Erwin Seba in Houston; Writing by Jim Loney; Editing by Mary Milliken)
Report Spam   Logged

Blue
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008, 11:39:25 am »

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/weather/hurricane/orl-hurricane-gustav-photos,0,4405326.photogallery
A link to Gustav photos as it hits New Orleans
Report Spam   Logged

Blue
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 01:10:14 am »

National Weather Service Enhanced Radar Image Loop

Houston/Galveston, TX Radar

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?rid=HGX&product=N0S&overlay=11101111&loop=yes
Report Spam   Logged

Blue
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2008, 01:15:13 am »

Hurricane Ike whips waves as it moves into Texas
(pictures at link)
http://www.rrstar.com/news/x55302328/Ike-strands-freighter-in-Gulf-Houston-braces

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Posted Sep 12, 2008 @ 09:19 AM
Last update Sep 12, 2008 @ 04:27 PM
GALVESTON, Texas —

A massive Hurricane Ike sent white waves crashing over a sea wall and tossed a disabled 584-foot freighter in rough water as it steamed today toward Texas, threatening to devastate coastal towns and batter America’s fourth-largest city.

Ike’s eye was forecast to strike somewhere near Galveston late today or early Saturday then head inland for Houston, but the massive system was already buffeting Texas and Louisiana, causing flooding along the Louisiana coast still recovering from Labor Day’s Hurricane Gustav.

The National Weather Service warned residents of smaller structures on Galveston they could “face certain death” if they ignored an order to evacuate; most had complied, along with hundreds of thousands of fellow Texans in counties up and down the coastline. But in a move designed to avoid highway gridlock as the storm closed in, most of Houston’s 2 million residents hunkered down and were ordered not to leave.

White waves as tall as 15 feet were already crashing over Galveston’s sea wall. It was enough to scare away Tony Munoz and his wife, Jennifer, who went down to the water to take pictures, then decided that riding out the storm wasn’t a good idea after all.

“We started seeing water come up on the streets, then we saw this. We just loaded up everything, got the pets, we’re leaving,” Tony Munoz, 33, said. “I’ve been through storms before but this is different.”

Ike’s 105-mph winds and potential 50-foot waves initially stopped the Coast Guard from attempting a risky helicopter rescue of 22 people aboard a 584-foot freighter that broke down in the path of the storm about 90 miles southeast of Galveston, Chief Petty Officer Mike O’Berry said. The ship was hauling petroleum coke used to fuel furnaces at steel plants.

But midday today, the Coast Guard changed its mind and decided to stage a rescue. Petty Officer Tom Atkeson said rescue swimmers and Coast Guard and Air Force aircraft were on their way to reach the ship.

A stubborn few decided to defy orders to leave. Emory Sallie, 44, of Galveston, said he had ridden storms out in the past and didn’t think Ike would be any different. He didn’t believe the dire warnings — he was more worried about the wind, not the flooding.

“If the island is going to disappear it has to be a tsunami,” he said, as he walked along the block where his home is located, drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette. “If it ain’t your time you ain’t going anywhere.”

In Surfside Beach, a small coastal town of about 805, water was already knee-deep in the streets and skies were growing increasingly dark. Police were going around in a dump truck trying to get holdouts to evacuate while there was still time. The police chief asked one stubborn couple to write their names and Social Security numbers on their forearms in black magic marker “in case something bad were to happen.” They soon changed their minds, and police were wading an aluminum boat through floodwaters to rescue them.

In Houston, about 60 miles inland, officials said residents should not flock to the roadways en masse, creating the same kind of gridlock that cost lives — and a little political capital — when Hurricane Rita threatened Houston in 2005. Some evacuation orders were in effect for low-lying sections of the Houston area, but for the most part, people stayed. Large hospitals in the city moved some patients away from windows, but they did not send them away.

Three days before landfall, Rita bloomed into a Category 5 and tracked toward the city. City and Harris County officials told Houstonians to hit the road, even while the population of Galveston Island was still clogging the freeways. The evacuation itself wound up far more dangerous than the storm: 110 people died during the effort, while the eventual Category 4 storm killed nine. Houston ultimately was spared a direct hit as the storm took a last-minute turn to the northeast and landed on the Texas-Louisiana border.

This morning, Houstonians streamed in and out of a grocery store near downtown, carts filled with last-minute supplies such as water and Wheat Thins. Ken Wilson, 51, cut short a vacation to California to return home and ready for Ike. He loaded eight gallons of water into his car trunk before heading home to ride out the storm with his wife.

Wilson said it was too late for him to board up his house, though he had stocked up on ice and batteries.

“We’ll just tape up to keep things from flying around. I’m apprehensive about how high the winds are going to be, and windows breaking,” he said. “What’s the philosophy? Run from the water, shelter from the wind? If it’s wind: Hunker down.”

Business owners Lisa and Tresa Biggerstaff were busy boarding up their shop, Dacapo’s Pastry Cafe, located in the city’s Heights area.

“We’ll just turn it over to God and let whatever happen, happen,” Tresa Biggerstaff said as she watched her friend, Preston Witt, cut half-inch thick plywood. “We’re not scared at all.”

Texans were getting hit from both sides, as the remnants of Tropical Storm Lowell, a Pacific system, dumped nearly 8 inches of rain on Lubbock in 24 hours, flooding homes and roads.

Some businesses closed, and Texas Tech University and other schools canceled classes today.

Ike would be the first major hurricane to hit a U.S. metropolitan area since Katrina devastated New Orleans three years ago. For Houston — a city filled with gleaming skyscrapers, the nation’s biggest refinery and NASA’s Johnson Space Center — it would be the first major hurricane since Alicia in August 1983 came ashore on Galveston Island, killing 21 people and causing $2 billion in damage.

Galveston, a barrier island and beach town about 10 feet above sea level and 50 miles southeast of downtown Houston, was the scene of the nation’s deadliest hurricane, the great storm of 1900 that left at least 6,000 dead. But that also was before officials had the ability to warn residents that a hurricane was coming, and before the sea wall was built to protect the community.

If the storm stays on its projected path, it could head up the Houston Ship Channel and through Galveston Bay, which Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff called a nightmare scenario.

At 10 a.m. Illinois time today, the storm was centered about 195 miles southeast of Galveston, moving to the west-northwest near 12 mph. Hurricane warnings were in effect over a 400-mile stretch of coastline from south of Corpus Christi to Morgan City, La. Tropical storm warnings extended south almost to the Mexican border and east to the Mississippi-Alabama line, including New Orleans.

The oil and gas industry was closely watching the storm because it was headed straight for the nation’s biggest complex of refineries and petrochemical plants. The upper Texas coast accounts for one-fifth of U.S. refining capacity, and many platforms were shut down.

Wholesale gasoline prices jumped to around $4.85 a gallon for fear of vast shortages. That was up substantially from about $3.25 on Wednesday and less than $3 on Tuesday.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 01:18:17 am by Blue » Report Spam   Logged

Blue
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2008, 05:30:39 pm »

Nearly 2,000 brought to safety in Texas

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ike

Go to link for pictures and video

By CHRISTOPHER SHERMAN, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 4 minutes ago

GALVESTON, Texas - Rescuers searching the waterlogged streets and splintered houses left behind by Hurricane Ike said Sunday they had saved nearly 2,000 people — many of whom then boarded buses to shelters without knowing where they were going or when they could come home.
ADVERTISEMENT

More than 48 hours after the first direct hurricane hit a major U.S. city since Hurricane Katrina, authorities imposed a weeklong nighttime curfew on Houston, where electricity was scarce and downed trees and shattered glass made roads unsafe.

The storm also battered the heart of the U.S. oil industry: Federal officials said Ike destroyed a number of production platforms, though it was too soon to know how badly.

Ike was downgraded to a tropical depression as it moved into the nation's midsection and left more harm in its wake. Roads were closed in Kentucky because of high winds. As far north as Chicago, dozens of people in a suburb had to be evacuated by boat. Two million people were without power in Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana.

The death toll from the storm rose to 13. Three were in the hard-hit barrier island city of Galveston, Texas, including one body found in a vehicle submerged in floodwater at the airport. Many deaths, however, were outside of Texas as the storm slogged north.

Ike's 110 mph winds and battering waves left Galveston without electricity, gas and basic communications — and officials estimated it may not be restored for a month.

"We want our citizens to stay where they are," a weary Mayor Lyda Ann Thomas said. "Do not come back to Galveston. You cannot live here right now."

Houston, the nation's fourth-largest city, was reduced to near-paralysis in some places — although power had been restored to some of the downtown office towers by Sunday afternoon. Texas Medical Center, the world's largest medical complex, was unscathed and remained open.

Its two airports — including George Bush Intercontinental, one of the busiest in the United States — were set to reopen Monday with limited service, but schools were closed until further notice, and the business district was shuttered.

Five people were arrested at a pawn shop north of Houston and charged with burglary in what Harris County Sheriff's spokesman Capt. John Martin described as looting, but there was no widespread spike in crime.

Authorities told reporters Sunday afternoon that 1,984 people had been rescued, including 394 by air.

The search-and-rescue effort was the largest in Texas history, including more than 50 helicopters, 1,500 volunteers and teams from federal, state and local agencies.

Once evacuees were safe and dry, there was another problem — where they would go. Some buses went to shelters in San Antonio and Austin. Shelters across Texas scurried to find enough cots, and some arrived with little cash and no idea of what the coming days held.

From the city of Orange alone, near the Louisiana line, more than 700 people sought dry ground — "a Herculean effort to organize a reverse evacuation that nobody had ever planned for," Mayor Brown Claybar said.

Hundreds of people wrapped around a high school in Galveston, some with pets, overstuffed duffel bags and medicine as they waited to board a bus to a shelter. Some didn't know where they were going, and even more didn't know when they could return.

"I have nowhere to go," said Ldyyan Jonjocque, 61, waiting for a bus while holding the leashes of her four Australian shepherd dogs. She said she had to leave two dogs behind in her home. She wept as she told of officers rescuing her in a dump truck.

Rescue crews vowed to continue the search until they had knocked on every door, and planned to work through the night for the second day in a row. They were helped by receding floodwaters, but there were constant surprises as people rowed and sloshed through towns.

Two people who took a flat-bottom boat to check on a funeral home in the city of Orange found dozens of caskets had popped above ground in the floodwaters. Only a chain-link fence kept them from drifting into the surrounding neighborhood.

"I haven't seen any bodies, just caskets," said one of the men, Warren Claybar.

The storm also took a toll in Louisiana, where hundreds of homes were flooded and power outages worsened as the state struggles to recover from Hurricane Gustav, which struck over Labor Day.

In Hackberry, La., about 15 miles from the coast, workers moved a large shrimp boat out of the highway with a bulldozer, but the team had to stop because of strong currents in the floodwaters and difficulty in seeing the roadway.

The three deaths reported Sunday in Galveston were among five in Texas attributed to the storm. Two deaths in Louisiana were blamed on the storm, as was one in Arkansas when a tree fell on a mobile home, killing a 29-year-old man. A 4-year-old Houston boy died of carbon monoxide poisoning from the generator his family was using for power. Two people died in Kansas floods, and another two died in Indiana floods.

President Bush made plans to visit the area Tuesday. On his trip to Texas, Bush said he intends to express "the federal government's support — sympathy on the one hand and support on the other — for this recovery effort and rebuilding effort."

The oil industry was trying to find out how severe damage was to at least 10 production platforms destroyed by the storm. Specifics about the size and production capacity of the destroyed platforms were not immediately available, but the damage was to a fraction of the 3,800 platforms in the Gulf. By comparison, Hurricane Katrina destroyed 44 platforms.

As the remnants of the hurricane broke down and streamed northeastward, torrential rain caused flooding and power outages in parts of Kansas, Missouri and Illinois.

More rain fell in Chicago on top of 6.6 inches Saturday, and work crews placed 30,000 sandbags along the Chicago River, which was 2 feet above its normal level Sunday. Forty people in suburban Albany Park had to be evacuated by boat.

SWAT commander Sgt. Rodney Harrison and five other members of the Port Arthur Police Department drove a 2 1/2-ton truck into the waters to search for victims in Sabine Pass near the Louisiana border Sunday morning.

The waters were so intense and the roads so blocked that a gear shift broke off in the driver's hand. After two hours of struggle, the team had little to show for their work other than sopping wet clothes and exhaust-streaked faces. They even dodged an alligator.

"You have people that have families at home who put their lives on the line to come out here and save somebody that made a bad decision," Harrison said. "I don't think that's right. I don't think that's fair to everybody."

___

Associated Press Writers Michael Kunzelman in Orange, Juan A. Lozano and Jon Gambrell in Galveston, Allen G. Breed in Sabine Pass, Doug Simpson in Baton Rouge, La., and Pauline Arrillaga and Chris Duncan in Houston contributed to this report.
Report Spam   Logged

Blue
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2008, 05:56:36 pm »

Link to some aerial videos of areas hit by Ike.
http://www.khou.com/video/topstories-index.html?nvid=282679
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum